Skip To Main Content

Logo Title

Logo Image

Logo Title

Permission for School Administration of Non-Prescription Medication

Non-prescription medications are medicines that you can buy without a written prescription from a health care practitioner. Non-prescription medications are sometimes called “over-the-counter” medicines.

In order for a child to be given non-prescription medicines at school, the child’s parent/guardian must sign a permission form. The medication must be in the original, marked container with the manufacturer’s seal unbroken. A medication permission form (M105) will need to be completed on each medication that is to be given at school.

 Click here to download the M105 form (fillable)

Research has shown an association between the development of Reys’s syndrome and the use of aspirin and combination products containing aspirin. For this reason, nurses should refrain from giving these products unless there is a direct order by a healthcare provider.

If a non-prescription (OTC) medication is written as a prescription by the health care provider, the child’s health care provider and the child’s parent or guardian must sign a permission form (M 105). The medication should be in a labeled bottle by the pharmacy with the child’s name, the name of the medication, and the times of administration. Whenever possible, the expected duration of treatment shall be stated.

If a non-prescription medicine is currently being given at school or home and needed while your child is on a field trip, the parent/guardian must bring and supply the medicine to school by the day of the field trip. It must be in the original, marked container, with the manufacturer’s seal unbroken and have the M105 form completed for each medication and signed by the parent/guardian.  Additional labeled bottles may be obtained from your pharmacy. No Ziploc bags will be accepted

A responsible adult should deliver the medicine and the permission form to the school. The medicine must be in the original container with the label on it and manufacturer seal unbroken. The dosage of the medicine cannot exceed the recommended dosage from the manufacturer without a prescription from the child’s health care practitioner. 

Our school district does not accept orders for herbal, homeopathic or non – FDA approved medications to be administered in the schools or on overnight field trips.